Search This Blog

05 May 2010

Lab 4: GIS Data Models

My first experience with ArcGIS was filled with many challenges and frustrations. Perhaps what irked me at first was seeing that the tutorial consisted of a grand total of 58 pages. The list of instructions seemed endless to me as I followed each specific detail with care, fearing that if I missed one single detail, I would have to redo the entire lab. Especially considering the fact that I was completely unfamiliar with the program, making a mistake would be like stranding myself on an island in the middle of a sea of unknowns. However, I managed to work my way through the tutorial without any major problems. I gratefully admit that the actual instructions were crystal clear, complete with pictures and screen-shots. The comprehensiveness of the tutorial makes up for its length.

The bulk of the material of the ArcGIS tutorial seemed to be meant for familiarizing me with the basics of the systems. Much of the procedures involved learning to switch between the different layers and utilize the many available tools like scales or legends. Despite how time consuming the process was, I expect that ArcGIS will be an incredibly useful tool to me once I know how to use it effectively. With the many different functions that it performs, ArcGIS enables the presentation of data on a whole new level. Tables can be made and combined and values can be easily manipulated. Maps are easily constructed with multiple layers to compare and contrast data. The program implements all significant aspects of geography.

ArcGIS is a useful tool when trying to organize and visualize data. However, the complexity of the program may prove to be a pitfall. Relating to my own experiences, I am sure that many people do not find the whole tutorial process entirely enjoyable. Considering that the majority of human beings lack the patience to find reading instruction manuals pleasurable, I doubt that the general public will willingly sit through a 58-page ArcGIS tutorial session. In addition, many of the tasks are tedious when learning the basics. Although it does hold many opportunities, the program alienates many people with the inconvenience of having to learn how to use it.

Furthermore, a program as powerful as ArcGIS is not useful to everyone. Because most people do not need to perform such extensive analysis or research of mappable data, ArcGIS would not be a program to invest in. As a result, other than the government and few private firms, a small number would actively use ArcGIS. Therefore, very few people would have access to the exclusive program.

1 comment: